Tuesday 24 March 2015

Angelina Jolie Has Ovaries and Fallopian Tubes Removed After Doctor Detects Possible Sign of Early Cancer.

Angelina Jolie
I’ve always admired Angelina Jolie‘s strength, but we’ve gained a new respect for the Academy Award winning actress after she revealed she underwent a preventative procedure to have her ovaries and fallopian tubes removed. Two years ago, Jolie underwent a preventive double mastectomy after a blood test revealed she carried a mutation in the BRCA1 gene that increased her risk of breast cancer to 87% and ovarian cancer to 50%.
Doctors found a small benign tumor on one ovary but no signs of cancer in her tissues.
In an op-ed for The New York Times, Angelina wrote,

I had been planning this for some time. It is a less complex surgery than the mastectomy, but its effects are more severe. It puts a woman into forced menopause. So I was readying myself physically and emotionally, discussing options with doctors, researching alternative medicine, and mapping my hormones for estrogen or progesterone replacement. But I felt I still had months to make the date.
Then two weeks ago I got a call from my doctor with blood-test results. “Your CA-125 is normal,” he said. I breathed a sigh of relief. That test measures the amount of the protein CA-125 in the blood, and is used to monitor ovarian cancer. I have it every year because of my family history.
She added,
It is not possible to remove all risk, and the fact is I remain prone to cancer. I will look for natural ways to strengthen my immune system. I feel feminine, and grounded in the choices I am making for myself and my family. I know my children will never have to say, “Mom died of ovarian cancer.”
Powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment