Thursday 21 August 2014

Dorothy Dandridge.

vintage-visions-dorothy-dandridge4
I blame Erykah Badu for placing me on a nostalgic high. Her slow-grooving jam, “Back In The Day” just finished and I’m feeling overwhelmingly retrospective. I’ve always possessed a firm appreciation for everything vintage. I love vintage dresses, shoes, cars – anything you name – I admire it all! So, for today’s little feature, I decided to step outside the box.Vintage Visions are throwback features that highlight the fashion of the previous eras that have paved the way for present day inspiration.  Aside from acknowledging the past, I see this feature as a way of raising awareness; furthermore, I also see it as a refresher in a world filled with crop tops and gold chains.

  vintage-visions-dorothy-dandridge3vintage-visions-dorothy-dandridge-fbd12
The subject I chose for today needs no introduction. She’s a legend in my eyes and her legacy continues to serve as motivation for those who follow in her footsteps. Dorothy Dandridge’s chic style and elegance instantly garnered her a spot among Hollywood’s hottest stars. As a singer, dancer and actress, her fashion bordered along the lines of seductive yet conservative. Most famous for her film Carmen Jones, Dandridge was pivotal force in the 1950s.vintage-visions-dorothy-dandridge-fbdvintage-visions-dorothy-dandridge-fbd16vintage-visions-dorothy-dandridge5
From off- the-shoulder tops to belted jumpsuits, the styles Dandridge rocked back in the day are the “trends” of today’s generation. She maintains a certain ladylike quality that literally jumps at you within each of her photos. Some may call it ‘admiration’ while others might call it ‘old-fashioned’ – I simply call it ‘respect’.vintage-visions-dorothy-dandridge-fbd10vintage-visions-dorothy-dandridge-fbd11vintage-visions-dorothy-dandridge-fbd14
Are you a Dorothy Dandridge fan? 
Thoughts on the Vintage Visions feature? Any ideas on who should be showcased next?

No comments:

Post a Comment